Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Back to School

I almost missed my day again. My kids are back in school, and unlike other parents who are celebrating their week of renewed freedom, that means I'm back to a heavy, insane schedule that includes teaching them from home.

The first month is always panic time as I try to adjust to their new classes, they try to adjust to my panic, and I watch my rapidly shrinking writing/productivity time vaporize in a flurry of "more important things."

 Teaching is a lot more work than we ever guessed from the other side of the desk. I wish I could say I was good at it. I'm not. I do my best, but I allow myself to get impatient, frustrated. Thankfully, I have the backup of real, trained teachers in our program, but I don't know how they manage to stay so calm all the time.

This leads me, rather indirectly, to my point. Teachers rule. My father used to say that teaching was the most noble of professions, and I'm beginning to agree with him. But teachers aren't all created equal, and they don't all have anything to do with school.

Some of the best teachers I've ever had didn't even know they were teaching. (One particular, amazing editor comes to mind.) A writer's teachers can be beta readers, readers, editors and other authors. They can be the stories themselves, the characters too. In fact, we're sort of tripping over potential teachers.

All we have to do is be ready to listen.

And that's the tricky part. Opening up to the idea of learning. Opening our eyes to the chances to grow and deepen our skill set.

And being ever so grateful for the teachers who step up and offer that chance. I am very thankful for all the teachers in my life. I hope I can continue to meet people who challenge me to learn and grow, and for everyone who has along the way...here's a big ol' apple and a heartfelt thank you!





2 comments:

  1. I've been on both sides of the desk and neither of them are easy. I agree that the biggest part of learning is for the pupil to want to learn, to be open to new ideas. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" is very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's definitely a trick to it. If I could just work out what it is... :) Make that water look like the best effin' water in the universe, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! Just don't be a dick. Or we'll hunt you down.

Our Theme Song