Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNo: No whining--Just get 'er done

With NaNo starting, there’s a great wail of “OMG WHAT IF I CAN’T DO THIS?!” rising from the trenches. I mean, seriously.

You have work, kids, a spouse, a dog—none of those things are going to magically disappear just because you’ve set this goal for yourself. Writing would be so much easier if we could just hide away for the time it took to bust out a first draft. Guess what? Life isn’t like that. Life knows EXACTLY what you’re trying to accomplish and has no problems kicking you in the teeth to add something special to everything you’re juggling.

 At some point during this month, there will come a point where you just want to wring your hands at the heavens and scream, “I can’t do this! Why did I think I can do this? I’m a sad, sad excuse for a writer. WOE!” And there will be much gnashing of the teeth and tears.

Want to know a secret? The writers who finish their books are the ones who shove that little bitch of a voice in a box and light it on fire. Doubts go with the territory. No matter how many books you write, you’re always going to have that harpy in the back of your mind saying, “You can’t do this! Think of all the cupcakes you could be making right now if you weren’t slaving away over your computer! CUPCAKES, DAMN YOU!”

What’s the point of this rambling post? DO NOT QUIT. No, it’s not easy. If it was, everyone would do it. But you make it a priority, sit down and get those 1,600-odd words a day, and you can do this. So get ‘er done, darlings!

1 comment:

  1. Every single day I think this is the day it's all going to fall apart. This kid is sick, that one forgot to make a poster for science class. Sure, I may be doing it 100 words at a time some days, but so far, I'm meeting the 1667 word goal each day. Onward! If I can do it, so can you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! Just don't be a dick. Or we'll hunt you down.

Our Theme Song