Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Hate... I Love...

For those of you who aren't aware, I'm on Pinterest (this is me). There have been quite a few people posting writerly type quotes lately. Here are a couple that hit me:

"Writing a first novel takes so much effort, with such little promise of result or reward, that it must necessarily be a labour of love bordering on madness." ~Steven Saylor

and

"Writing a synopsis is my favorite thing to do. 
Said no author, ever." ~ (I have no clue who to credit this to. It's been around a while though)

And it got me to thinking... being an author is hard. I know, I know, this isn't a surprise, but sometimes I do forget. You see, I love my job. LOVE my job. Parts of it are less fun than others though. So let's go through the list of things some author somewhere hates (generally in the order they are done):

  • Research
  • Drafting
  • Revising
  • Critique partners
  • Synopsis writing
  • Querying
  • Waiting (at any stage of the game)
  • Contract deciphering
  • Cover info sheets
  • Cover copy writing
  • Editorial letters
  • More edits
  • Line edits
  • Copy edits
  • Release day
  • Promo
  • Reviews
  • Conventions
  • Sequels


Now, there are parts of that list that I love, parts I like, parts I have love-hate relationships with, parts I'm not fond of and parts that make me cry. Best parts for me? Drafting, my crit partners, revising, early stage edits, & conventions. Worst? Research, waiting, contracts, cover copy,  & promo.

What about you? If you're published, use the whole list. If you aren't yet, use the list as you see fit (either just what you have experience with or how you think you'll feel about it later)

1 comment:

  1. Research: Love it!
    Drafting: Love it!
    Revising: Not so much love...
    Critique partners: Necessary evil?
    Synopsis writing: Hatred
    Querying: Burning Hatred
    Waiting (at any stage of the game): Agonizing hatred
    Contract deciphering: Neutral?
    Cover info sheets: Like
    Cover copy writing: Hatred
    Editorial letters: Hatred
    More edits: Necessary evil
    Line edits: Love it!
    Copy edits: love it!
    Release day: Stress-filled love
    Promo: Not so much love...just stress
    Reviews: I'll let you know when I get some
    Conventions: Love, love, love!
    Sequels: If I have to, I guess...

    Does anyone actually like querying, though? Honestly?

    Voss

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! Just don't be a dick. Or we'll hunt you down.

Our Theme Song